4th Dec 2018
Dealing with your period: staying mentally and physically fit during menstruation
Ladies, I do not have to tell you the things that we go through when on our period.
As if the physical pain is not enough, periods can be mentally and emotionally draining, too.
This article is here to give you tips on how to make life easier when you feel like, nay basically are a human waterfall.
Feel like a tube of ketchup every time you sneeze or cough?
Crying over a shortage of your favorite snacks?
Your body hits a caps lock on your emotions and sensations?
Ovary acting (overreacting) and regretting it later?
We have all been there, you are not alone.
And what is the root cause of all of these experiences?
Staying physically fit during menstruation:
1. Coping with menstrual cramps
Being on your period can be a pain, both figuratively and literally.
A few tips on reducing period pains:
- Medication – Ibruprofen, Naproxen, etc.
- A warm compress on your stomach – heating pad, hot water bottle, etc.
- Regular exercise – yoga, walking, etc.
2. Diminish bloating
The period bloat is a standard symptom that women face before and during their period.
A few hacks to diminish bloating:
- Eat low sodium foods – fruits, dried beans & peas, etc
- Drink lots of water – no, water does not make you more bloated
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
3. Dealing with vaginal odor
Does it smell a little weird down there? This is completely normal, do not panic!
A few tips on overcoming vaginal odor:
- Control the odor – frequently change pads and tampons
- Daily showers
- Wear breathable cotton underwear and clothing
* If your vagina smells somewhat “fishy”, consult a doctor as this may be a sign of a medical problem.
You might already be doing some of these, keep doing them.
Newbies, we know, avoiding binge eating during your period can be VERY challenging, but the outcome is worth it!
Implement these during your period, and who knows? Your period might even turn from your foe to your friend.
Staying mentally fit during menstruation:
There are a lot of tips out there for how to stay physically fit during your periods, but not so many on how to stay mentally and perhaps even emotionally fit during menstruation. We’re here to help with that.
For some, during that entire period, it could just be a mild discomfort. For others, it could impact their whole lifestyle.
With my personal experience and talking to a couple of ladies, here are some of the things that could help:
- Keeping busy – distractions can be the best escape from all the discomfort
- You rule, girl – don’t let periods rule over your life
- Being active – want to feel energized? Exercise!
- A healthy diet – This helps both mentally and physically, eating healthy can actually heal thy. Sugary food may intensify your mood swings (as if we need that!)
We hope that this article contributes to making your life a little easier during “that time of the month”, if you have any queries, please feel free to reach us at Facebook or Instagram.