Yes or No
4th Dec 2018
Preparing for and making healthy sexual decisions: things to know, do, and think about before getting into sexual relationships – emotions and health
You’ve heard of stories where girls decide to get into sexual relationships but have regrets later.
You’ve heard of stories where girls decide to get into sexual relationships and they absolutely love every bit of the experience.
Sexual relationships and being a part of them can be a bittersweet experience.
It can be pleasurable and sexy.
It can be painful and frightening.
It can be both.
Deciding to have a sexual relationship involves both your body and your emotions.
We want you girls to be happy and make healthy sexual decisions
We’re not here to scare you, judge you, or tell you what to do.
This article offers you advice on the things you should know, do, and think about before getting into sexual relationships.
Things to know
- You are a hundred percent sure that you want to do this.
- You are making decisions for the right reasons, for yourself and no one else.
- You are not being pressured by anyone to make a decision.
- You can take as long as you need to make a decision, there is no rush or pressure.
- You have people to help if and when you ever need it, including us.
- Know that it is okay to ask for help and nothing to be embarrassed about whatsoever.
- It is okay to get into a sexual relationship.
- It is okay to not get into a sexual relationship.
- It is beyond okay to explore your body and know what you like before getting into a sexual relationship
Things to think about
- Are you making any decisions out of pressure?
- Are you being hasty in making your decision?
- Are you afraid of saying no?
- Are you afraid of being judged if you say yes?
- Are you absolutely sure that you are ready to make this decision?
- How will you feel afterwards?
- Do you think you’ll have any regrets?
Things to do
There is so much to know and learn about sex and the best way to get started is to conduct some research and talk to people.
With sex, comes responsibility.
If you decide to get into a heterosexual sexual relationship, talk about birth control methods and STI prevention methods with your partner before doing anything.
It is important that you know these things before you make any decision. If you feel like you are not ready to deal with all of the responsibility, then consider taking a step back and taking some more time to think about your decision.
Girls, I have said it before and I will say again and again that it is okay to want sex. It is okay to not want sex. There is no right or wrong.